Sunday, July 10, 2011

Fiji Life: Nine, Two, Three That's It (Day 2)


Nine Villages

Two Tribes (3 villages in one, 6 in the other)

Three Small Resorts (ours had a max capacity of about 50)

That is the entirety of Beqa island. The population is roughly 1400. There is a LOT of wilderness!

This scene really made me stop and think of the show Lost***(read the end of this post before clicking this link)...

The basis for Lost is a commercial flight (Oceanic 815) was en route from Australia to LA. When it crashes on an unknown island in the south Pacific. Oh yeah, this could be it!
This is less than a 10 minute walk outside the resort

Bula! Back for another day in paradise. Here is day two on "The Island".

Sunday June 12th

Losing that day on Friday has really got me disoriented, along with the fact that some people insist on asking me what time and what day is it in Dallas. I finally tell them we are from the future since Dallas is a day behind us. This seems to disorient them and they leave me alone for a while.

It is Sunday and that is the first day of diving for the anxious group of bubble-makers. Fiji is reported to be the soft coral capital of the world and as such has spectacular color and formations under water. My wife's mission: take lots of pictures and try and capture some of this beauty.

The morning routine for the week (for me) has been established today. Wake up around 6 or so and lounge in bed as Brandi gets ready for an early breakfast and 4 hours out on and in the water. {This consisted of 2 single-tank dives separated by an hour surface interval and travel time to and from the dive sites.} I finally get up between 7 and 7:30 and take another review of the previous days pictures, get ready for breakfast and step out to this view...
A backyard I could get used to!
I make my way to the dining hall where my daily breakfast of toast, omelet, and either coconut pancakes or French toast awaits me. (Did I mention it was all made by someone else!!! The best.) After breakfast a little pool-side time while I updated my journal and had some casual conversation with some of the ladies who were not diving (one from our group was pregnant and couldn't dive, a couple young 25-years olds from Arkansas (not in our group) who take a vacation together somewhere in the world each year to celebrate their birthdays which are only a couple weeks apart, and a lady from our group who was not feeling well.) I would usually leave the pool around 11 or so to go back to the bure and sort pictures on the laptop and maybe take a brief nap in the hammock before lunch. This was just as relaxing and carefree as it sounds.

The divers return and Brandi wakes me from my nap. We get ready for lunch and head to the dining area. Even walking around the property was relaxing. We downloaded all the dive pictures after lunch as we were both eager to see the results. I have posted many of the dive pictures from this day on a separate page at the top titled Fiji Day Two Diving. For now here is a sample...





After lunch most of the group gathered by the pool for some sun and suds (Fiji Gold...yeah!). The breeze off the ocean was just often enough to keep us cool and the water in the pool was like 70-degrees so there was not a chance of overheating. About mid-afternoon some of the massage therapists (natives to the island) were doing complimentary foot and calf massages at the edge of the pool. Like yesterday...it was badass! Several of the group had lined up full body massages, hot rocks, the whole works. This is the main way the staff make there money. At anywhere from $100 to $150 for a 50 to 90-minute massage...there were plenty of takers throughout the week. (Brandi did, today at 4:30 as a matter of fact...I didn't) Some even scored 2 or three massages of different types.


Since the sun goes down so early you had to be ready around 5:30PM to begin lining up shots for sunset.





Dinner at 7 consisted of fresh fish once again surrounded by soup and decadent dessert. Only the outdoors is primitive...the meals are first class!

Another early night around 9PM and a walk back to our bure arm in arm under a very full moon. Only sad I could not get a decent picture of said moon.

***If you have not seen Lost I recommend it highly. Series should be available on Netflix or Blockbuster. If you click this link above and you plan to watch the series DO NOT read beyond the Contents box. You don't want to spoil it.

Vinaka til next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment