Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Fiji Life: Day 5 - Extreme Activities...Firewalkers


Bula Friends!


Today we continue on with the Day 5 activities. At least this next one really didn't pose a threat to my safety or any of my remaining, undamaged digits.

If you're ready, here we go...

Wednesday June 15th, 2011 - The Day That Will Live In Injury! PART II

After the return from the Waterfall Hike aka Modern Bataan Death March, the fire was good and ready and the stones for the Firewalkers were nice and hot. The Firewalkers in their native (and highly flammable) grass skirts prepared for their performance.

You will want to enlarge all of these.


I will digress for a second and give you some background information on the Firewalkers.

Legend has it that a Fijian god once repaid a favor to a warrior on Beqa island by giving him the ability to walk on fire unharmed. The Sawau tribe of Beqa are noted for their ability to walk on white hot stones without being burned. Strict rituals have to be observed before the firewalking ceremony. Two of the strictest rituals are 1) No form of coconut (a staple in their diet) can be ingested for 4 days prior to the firewalk, 2) No woman (no cry?). So no coconut, no sex, four days.

Let's continue...

To prepare for the firewalk they have to clear out all the burning wood that was used to heat the stones during the day.

Then they walk in the hot stones!!

Taking turns, standing on the stones for various lengths of time...

Doing the two-stone no hands trick...

Didn't have my zoom with me so my closeups weren't that close...

Show off!

And then they took my wife!!!

And several other women of our tribe...one of the Others

The two young Arkansas girls

And one of our group...

I found the Firewalkers pretty impressive actually. I say this out of a semi-kindred spirit in as much as I also have participated in a firewalk. That is a story for another time though.

I am keeping this post short since the Hike was so damn long.

Next up...the Kava Ceremony to cap off Day 5 of extreme activities Fiji style.

Vinaka for now


No comments:

Post a Comment